While we encourage the free exchange of ideas and opinions, there is also the need for a certain decorum to be maintained. To that end the following rules have been implemented to govern the forums at flightlevel350.com. Repeated violation of these could result in private warnings and, if necessary, more severe action including bannishment from the site.
1. The use of profanity, including attempts to hide or disguise it such as sh**, b**ch, f**k..., is prohibited. "Damn" can be ok, sometimes, but not "damn you!". Use your common sense but remember it is better to err on the clean side.
2. Character insults and/or personal attacks, including sexist, racist, and politically oriented insults are prohibited. Disagreements are a fact of life and everyone has an opinion. These will be discussed civily without personal insults or angry outbursts or your post will be deleted and the warnings will begin.
3. If you purposely start an argument with no valid reason, the post will be deleted and offenders warned. Example: Airbus vs Boeing threads or topics are not permitted for debate as these almost always result in flamewars and provide no useful discourse.
4. Post in the correct category to the best of your ability. Anything that is not related to aviation is no longer welcome in this forum. If you feel like talking about non-aviation subjects please post them in your FL350 Blog.
5. Be specific. Post your questions in the most detailed way possible for the best replies. Support questions should be asked using the "Support Forum" or via the contact form.
6. You may not knowingly post false information in an attempt to have it accepted as fact. This is known as lying. Posting false information with the intention of making it clearly evident that it is false as in jokes, etc., is not prohibited. Further, when making assertions that are not easily verified, your source for that information or other authority should be posted.
7. This site is an English speaking site and posts are expected to be in English using correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Posts made in ALL CAPS or with no caps at all, those that have no periods or apostrophes, those with excessive exclamation or question marks, and those with obvious and frequent spelling errors will be deleted at the discretion of the site editor and if no improvement is forthcoming the warnings will begin.
8. Linking to other commercial websites that offer the same services as fl350 is not allowed. Members are allowed to provide a link to other sites in posts or their signature if these sites do not offer objectionable content.
9. Links to airliners.net and their photos is allowed but PLEASE be sure to use the direct link URL they provide for that purpose. Do NOT cut and paste the URL in your browser window into your post. The direct link URL for each A.net photo can be found next to the photo size selections across the top of the photo.
10. Posting to very old threads that are no longer timely, where the questions asked were answered, or there is nothing practical or useful to be offered is called "grave digging" and is considered bad forum etiquette. Do not revive very old threads by posting your opinion or a comment. If you have useful, accurate information post it in a new thread referencing the older thread.
11. Embedding graphics in your forum post is not allowed. If you wish to offer a graphic in your post you must have it on the internet and place a link to it in your post. Flightlevel350.com has a Gallery section where members with 100 posts or more can upload pictures. These can be linked to in your posts.
12. It is not permitted for members to have two memberships, or dual personalities, in the forum.
If you think there is something else that should be included in the rules, please let one of the moderators know so we can make it official. It is important that we all act in the same way otherwise our visitors will get confused about the "correct" way to be.
Pinned or "Sticky" Threads
Pinned threads are threads that have been made to remain at the top of the forum index regardless of their date of last post. These threads are "pinned" at the top because they contain information of value or interest to some or all members. They are pinned to make them convenient to find. Pinned threads with advice from pilots for those aspiring to become pilots are at the top of the "Ask A Pilot" front page. Topics relevant to military aviation are at the top of the "Military Aviation" front page, and so on. At the top of the "Civil Aviation" index page are pinned threads containing links to various web sites that contain information which maybe of use to anyone interested in aviation. There are also pinned threads for aviation humor, funny videos, aircraft spotters, and a member location map, among others, on the "Off Topic" page. Before posting a new thread to request information it is suggested that you first check the pinned threads to see if your question has been asked and answered before.
The "Help" function is a very useful source for forum information. It has an extensive list of explanations on how to use the various functions available. If you have any trouble or can't figure out how a specific feature works the "Help" button should be your first choice for information. The "Help" function is available from any page on the site. After clicking the "Help" button you can choose to see help topics to choose from or a search page that lets you search the help files for keywords you enter.
Chat Room Policies
If you are in the chat and you see something inappropriate going on, ask the member to stop or remind them of the rules and make it known to a moderator. If you have a problem, then copy and paste your chat window to notepad, save it and offer it to a moderator when available. Remember, what you say can get you in trouble or cause the loss of the chat for all of us! If you are involved and someone says something to you that makes you want to lash out, then bite your lip and tell a mod! Thats why they are. DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING INTO YOUR OWN HANDS! We are all a team.
Signature Image Policy
Signature images are the pictures/graphics at the bottom of your post and are part of your signature. That option is available, however, and this is important, only those who chose to see the signature images in the profile section of "My Controls" will be able to see your image signature. The default value is to see only the text signatures. If you want to view signatures images of others you, also, must choose to do so in your profile. Only the people who want to see signature images will see yours. Your signatures, including all images, must not be larger than 500 X 150 pixels or smaller. You may include in your signature a link to your own web site as long as it is in keeping with other site rules.
Once registered new members should take the time setup their profile and preferences. This can be done by clicking on "My Controls" and filling in the information and enabling or disabling forum features as desired. Providing an e-mail address is optional and you can choose to receive personal messages through the site message system. Explanations of options can obtained by clicking "Help". Avatars
Avatars are the pictures that appear below a members name in the area left of the post window. You may choose to upload your own picture to use or choose one of 1000 avatars in the gallery. Your avatar must 150 X 150 pixels or smaller.
Frequently Asked Questions
A list of previously asked questions and answers is available by clicking on help at the top or bottom of each forum page.
Under your name and above your avatar is the name of an aircraft. This is a member ranking title that designates the number of posts made by each member. This title can be customized in your profile. The title assigned for number of posts is as follows:
Plane => Qty. of Posts
Cessna 152 => 0-49
Saab 340 => 50-99
Boeing 737 => 100-199
Boeing 747 => 200-299
Airbus A380 => 300-499
Space Shuttle => 500+